One of the many powerful features of IBM Lotus Notes has always been
its ability to change or increase functionality by applying templates
to the design of a Notes application.
Two excellent examples of how Notes templates can be used to extend the functionality of standard Lotus Notes Mail include:
It is understandable that Notes Administrators may have some concerns
about allowing the use of 3rd party Mail templates with Lotus Notes.
At the same time, there are valid arguments for why users
should be permitted to extend their use of Lotus Notes with third party
(non IBM) templates for Lotus Notes.
The purpose of this Wiki page is to collect this information in one place so
that it can be considered when evaluating the use of a Mail template.
Business justification for the use of a 3rd Party Mail Template:
Considerations for Notes Administrators:
- Increased end-user productivity
- Support better business decision making
- Improved interaction with colleagues, partners, and customers
- Makes users more productive, responsive, and proactive
- Helps to show the strength and adaptability of IBM Lotus Software
- Increases user's like for Lotus Notes
- May not want to support more than one Mail template
- Concerns about potential impact on server performance
- If I allow my users to use a 3rd party template, how can I get support for them?
Responses to the above business justifications and administrator concerns:
(Please comment here. If you have new justifications or concerns, please add them above.)